Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Somebody, Please, Throw Me a Bone

The President apparently puts a premium on his Secretary of Defense being a decent, caring sort. Here is how he desribed Rummy yesterday:

Listen, I know how -- I know Secretary Rumsfeld's heart. I know how much he cares for the troops. He and his wife go out to Walter Reed in Bethesda all the time to provide comfort and solace. I have seen the anguish in his -- or heard the anguish in his voice and seen his eyes when we talk about the danger in Iraq, and the fact that youngsters are over there in harm's way. And he is -- he's a good, decent man. He's a caring fellow. Sometimes perhaps is demeanor is rough and gruff, but beneath that rough and gruff, no-nonsense demeanor is a good human being who cares deeply about the military, and deeply about the grief that war causes.


Compare that person with the one who authorizes torture of other human beings.

The two-page e-mail that references an Executive Order states that the President directly authorized interrogation techniques including sleep deprivation, stress positions, the use of military dogs, and "sensory deprivation through the use of hoods, etc."


I know, I know, he is an asshole, but as my colleague Attaturk says,


Just sayin'.

No comments: