Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Let me relive my time with Maureen Dowd

John Tierney writes about the "Whys of Mating"

I've condensed down the relevant portions as it relates to his relationship with America's most honestly advertised red-headed teen-aged drama queen:


To make sense of the 237 reasons, Dr. Buss and Dr. Meston created a taxonomy with four general categories:

¶Physical: “The person had beautiful eyes” or “a desirable body,” or “was good kisser” or “too physically attractive to resist.” Or “I wanted to achieve an orgasm.” (with another person present)

¶Goal Attainment: “I wanted to even the score with a cheating partner” or “break up a rival’s relationship” or “make money” or “be popular.” Or “because of a bet.”

¶Emotional: “I wanted to communicate at a deeper level” or “lift my partner’s spirits” or “say ‘Thank you.’ ” Or just because “the person was intelligent.” (you can't say grudge fuck in the New York Times)

¶Insecurity: “I felt like it was my duty” or “I wanted to boost my self-esteem” or “It was the only way my partner would spend time with me.” (To punish the voices in my head)

No comments: