Monday, December 24, 2007

Best Movies I Saw in 2007

Dedurkheim did the music, I'm doing the movies. My favorites, in chronological order of release. Chime in with yours in comments.

1. "The Lives of Others" (The Best of The Best. I just watched it again on-demand and it is terrific.)

2. "Across the Universe" (Loved it, especially the "Because" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy) sequences.)

3. "I'm Not There" (For the little smile Cate Blanchett gives the camera at the very end.)

4. "Zodiac" (Because I dig police procedurals and San Francisco.)

5. "Sicko" (Michael Moore may be fat, but he's also right.)

6. "No End in Sight" (In fifty years they're gonna show this in schools to teach the kids How It All Went So Terribly and Horribly Wrong.)

7. "Michael Clayton" (Two words: George Clooney) and "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" (Three words: Phillips Seymour Hoffman)

8. "Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten" (I miss The Clash.)

9. "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Beautiful and moving and as good a movie as it was a book.)

10. "Sweeney Todd" (Because Johnny Depp is a pro and a sport and because it was a Movie Movie).

Note: I didn't see "Away from Her," "Eastern Promises," "Into the Wild," "Ratatouille," "Superbad," "The Darjeeling Limited," "Gone, Baby Gone," "Margot at the Wedding," "The Savages," "There Will Be Blood," "Persepolis," or "Juno" (yet).

Movies I wanted to like more, but didn't: "Starting Out in the Evening," "Redacted," and "No Country for Old Men."

Movies also worth mentioning: "Lady Chatterley" and "American Gangster."

No comments: