Saturday, June 12, 2010

Chow Down South

Hey. Pardon my extended absence. Just returned from a little trip. The GC is a vegetarian, so we're always on the lookout for good restaurants that are either vegetarian or that feature lots of interesting vegetarian options. We found four in the course of our trip and I wanted to give them all a shout-out. Check them out if you're down that way.

Asheville, North Carolina:
  • Rosetta's Kitchen (We shared some hummus and then I had the coconut curry plate and The GC had "The Mountain". That Mountain changed my mind about tempeh.)
  • Green Sage Cafe (We had a really yummy breakfast here. I loved the biscuits.)
Charleston, West Virginia: Bluegrass Kitchen (I had the asparagus and grilled bleu cheese sandwich on toast. The GC tried the veggie burger. We shared a slice of mixed berry buttermilk pie. I wish I knew how to make that pie.)

Lexington, Kentucky: Alfalfa Restaurant (I had these Singapore-style rice noodles with baby bok choy, mushrooms, carrots, and a few other veggies. The GC had hoppin' john. And we shared a slice of whole wheat carrot cake.)

4 comments:

Michael said...

Being a veg head myself I can certainly appreciate this post. You had my mouth watering at "The Mountain" and I don't even know what's in it.

res ipsa loquitur said...

Michael, If you click through there's a menu. It's under "Entrees". There was tempeh, kale, rice, and some other goodies. The GC really liked it. I tried the tempeh and liked it a lot.

Anonymous said...

does it count if i put a hug gob of butter and salt on my big bowl of peas in the pod?

pansypoo

DanF said...

The biggest pain in the butt when road tripping is finding decent veggie food. C'est la vie ... Can't wait to try a long road trip with the kids. I've always wondered what their limit for olive and cheese pizzas would be.